Friday, October 17, 2008

DOF with Point & Shoot Camera


Picture Information:
F-Stop : F/7.2
Focal Length: 9mm
Shutter: 1/64 Sec
Flash: 1
Iso: 200
Exp Comp: 0 Step


Well, since I have not ventured out and purchased a high end digital camera, I have been trying all sorts of things with my point and shoot camera. I have yet to try portrait mode to see how that works for DOF (Thanks Cy), but here is what I was able to get using the macro mode on the camera.

I am hoping to play around a little more this weekend and will update my post later...

Thanks Cy for a great challenge, makes me go back and think about the basics of photography again and how to take control of my camera...

Additional Pictures...

I borrowed a DSLR camera for the weekend and had loads of fun getting more pictures and playing around with DOF. Here are a couple of them that I thought were amazing...





F-Stop : F/3.9
Focal Length: 74mm
Shutter: 1/20 Sec
Exp Program: Aperture Priority
Iso: 100
Exp Comp: 0 Step



F-Stop : F/4.3
Focal Length: 123mm
Shutter: 1/20 Sec
Exp Program: Aperture Priority
Iso: 100
Exp Comp: 0 Step

F-Stop : F/4.5
Focal Length: 150mm
Shutter: 1/800 Sec
Exp Program: Aperture Priority
Iso: 100
Exp Comp: 0 Step

8 comments:

Cy said...

Good job Carl. Keep it up and you'll get to know the camera better. I never found a manual for your camera, but some to the reserach I did indicated there was a manual mode on your camera. It so, there are probably things you can adjust for different effects.

Cy

Carl said...

I have played with the manual mode on the camera, but they are just exposure (ISO, Compensation, etc) and not shutter speed and F stop. The only shutter speed control I have is for time exposure and night exposure modes... Just a nice quick pocket camera without a lot of bells and whistles, but it takes such great pictures I can't orphan it just yet. *GRIN*

Carin said...

Carl, I think you did a really great job. I blew up the picture and in doing so you can really see that you captured some great DOF. And what a neat idea to use a ruler.

Carin said...

I just see you added a few more pictures, they look fantastic. I really like the one with the lichen on the rock. They are all great.

Uh, oh.... now what happens that you got to use a DSLR? What did you use? I still think you showed us a fantastic example of DOF with your point and shoot! Very good job. It goes to show that it isn't always the camera but rather the photographer using his creativity.

Carl said...

I used an Olympus E-500 for the weekend; it was a lot of fun. Taking pictures has always been one of my favorite things to do and have always challenged myself to use my equipment to its fullest potential. Now I am finding myself needed new equipment to challenge me...

Judy said...

I too liked seeing your DOF's. Do you have any idea the settings you used on the DSLR?

Judy said...

I too liked seeing your DOF's. Do you have any idea the settings you used on the DSLR?

Carl said...

I apologize for not including the exposure information with the pictures. I have added that to the post, I know that will help out tremendously for those who are still learning.

I shot the last three in Aperture Priority (A) program mode on the camera and had a distance to the subject of about 3-4 feet.

The first one I shot in Macro mode with a flash, to get the DOF effect.