Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sunset Vignette

I got busy last night and played around with different pictures. I am mostly a sunset and landscape variety so it was a bit of a challenge.
Some Original Picture Statistics:
Camera: FinePIX A900
Focal Length: 9 mm
Aperture: f/2.9
Exposure: 1/180 sec
ISO: 200
Exposure Compensation: 0 Step

For the above Vignetting, I used a gradient layer that transitioned from red to yellow (50° angle up and to the right), Square selection with a corner radius of 150 pixels and feathered at 75 pixels; the layer properties were color burn with 100% opacity.
For the above Vignetting, I used the same layers but just tweaked the layer properties; New layer properties were exclusion with 26% opacity, Multiply with 100% opacity and soft light with 8% opacity.

All this was done in Elements 2, yeah I know a bit behind the time on versions but I resist change (hence my political affiliation this year)...

1 comment:

Carin said...

That is really intersting to me. I love seeing what you have done. I NEVER would have thought about using the gradient tool. what a clever idea. I think using that gradient really works with the sunset. you know, I don't think I have ever used the exclusion (Yup, that's me, I get in a rut and never try anything new). Thanks for teaching me something new.